Thursday 19 March 2009

Friendship

To Halifax and Calderdale Council's health scrutiny committee with a friend of mine who is transgender. She has had a hard journey to find out who she is and I have been a distant support as best I could. It is a journey that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, in all departments it's a painful journey.
What Clare has needed has been friendship... Or as they call them "people who give unconditional positive regard."
It's been hard for me not to wade in with an unhelpful prophetic voise in what has been a pastoral situation.
As I sat with a slightly mottley and yet heroic collection of humanity I allowed myself a moment of reflection of how this would appear to others only to stop myself. What others will think is always the wrong question. The right question is always what's right.

No comments: