Sunday 24 August 2008

A very british spirituality.

I think I may have discovered at Greenbelt a genuine british spirituality. This may not be so amazing but honestly people have beem searching for many years. Is it the book of common prayer? Something transatlantic, charismatic, and cheesy? I've even wondered if the word "normal" would define british spirituality.
So tonight encouraged by my older son I headed to the Greenbelt Pub Tent: "The Jesus Arms" for beer and hymns which did what it said on the packet. There was a tent full of people, drinking really real ale, and with a worship leader like "the pub landlord" we sang hymns.
When it came to the choruses we raised our glasses to the king.
Hundreds then gathered, spilling out and singing heartedly, raising their glasses, to the king of kings.
An authentic british spirituality? I'm afraid it is.

No comments: