Sunday 1 June 2008

One space or two?

Quick write today as it’s Sunday and a shock return to work, is there any time when it’s not a shock return to work?
Tonight I went to one of our local clergy’s leaving dos, at what turned out to be a fairly early rural regeneration project. The church had been in split in two with the back transformed into a hall with an upstairs room and the front a very much shortened church. This was complete with pews organ and a serious building problem caused by the church building moving and the organ staying still.
Needless to say the back of the church had had rural regeneration funding and the front hadn’t.
I wonder if we need to split spaces like this, could we not find a way to have a space which is secular sometimes and sacred at others?
Or are we destined to keep the Greek’s love of splitting the two halves of a human being.
I am looking forward to seeing if we can’t at least the sacred and secular a little closer together at least in the world of regeneration.
Incidentally I am not on a bonus scheme that gives me money every time I mention regeneration in my blog as someone suggested this morning but it’s a thought…

No comments: