Tuesday 26 February 2008

Standards in Public Life

The government has decided that people in public life are not to be trusted. This dodgy vicar has been sent for yet more training, at Halifax Town Hall. A dozen or so parish councillors were treated to an interesting presentation on the government's new standards in public life legislation. It basically means that if you misbehave, they're coming to get you! Misbehaving included not declaring if you had ever received £25 of hospitality from anyone. If I follow this then I suspect half of Mytholmroyd may at sometime or other have given me more than that. Joseph's my fifteen year old reckons I ought to declare my birthday money!
I know what they're trying to do but you can't help thinking that something really important is dying. As the lady spoke, the wind outside was blowing dramatically causing the doors on the ancient council chamber to open and close all by themselves! For all the world it was as though the Spirits of our Ancesters in public life were leaving in disgust. Perhaps they are worried about the skeletons in their political cupboards.

No comments: