Friday 18 April 2008

Life soundtracks

It's been a difficult day. Definitely cloudy with sunny spells.
I don't know why but its set me off thinking about soundtrack songs, you know the kind of thing you find yourself singing at low moments. For me these are a very small collection of music that at one time or other have lifted me, or protected me. they are a very bizarre bunch.
Michael Jackson (sorry!) - Keep the Faith helped me thorugh a very difficult patch when I was a university chaplain.
Keith Green - make my life a prayer for you, inspired me to give up two years of my life to work in the inner city.
Martyn Joseph: whoever it was that brought me here will have to take me home
Samuel Barbers: Adagio
Free: All Right Now
One which keeps following me around is by Bob Dylan when he was being untrendingly Christian, it's called Pressing on and its on Saved.
It isn't about denying the real problems it is just a recognition that in the middle of day to day struggles we have a higher calling... for me as a Christian that is the calling of God to be a priest
For me as a Regenrationalist(!) its that I want to make my part of the world a better place.
Keeping an eye on your "Higher Calling" whatever that is helps you on days like today when you bury a good friend... and comfort 360+ of your mourning community.
If you get chance to listen to pressing on, tell me what you think, it could be the Renaissance movements anthem!
It can't be any worse than: "Things can only get better!"
There is a really good version by the chicago masssed choir.

Well I'm pressing on
Yes, I'm pressing on
Well I'm pressing on
To the higher calling of my lord.

Many try to stop me,
shake me up in my mind
Say, "Prove to me that He is Lord,
show me a sign
"What kind of sign they need when it all come from within
When what's lost has been found,
what's to come has already been ?

Well I'm pressing on
Yes, I'm pressing on
Well I'm pressing on
To the higher calling of my lord.

Shake the dust off of your feet, don't look back
Nothing can hold you down, nothing that you lack
Temptation's not an easy thing, Adam given the devil reign
Because he sinned I got no choice, it run in my vein.

Well I'm pressing on
Yes, I'm pressing on
Well I'm pressing on
To the higher calling of my lord.

No comments: