Saturday 26 April 2008

You say building and I say people

Today I asked the church I'm working with a simple question... "what does church look like?" It's not as simple as it sounds because I had already primed them to think about the church as its people.
So answers came back about worship, welcome laughter etc. My wife asked innocentally why none of those picture were of things outside the church.
There was an awkward silence. Then some defensive replies. After a bit of a kaffufel, it turned out there was loads of stuff they were doing outside the confines of the church wall they had just forgotten to mention them.
It was as though church inside the building and church outside the building were different things to church.
I suspect if God were to talk about church he wouldn't mention buildings at all. Perhaps we need a different word the people and their building.
Or are we called homosapiens because we live in a home?

No comments: