Saturday 5 April 2008

Writer's Block

Today I have been suffering from the sermon equivalent of writer's block. Sometimes sermons appear as fully fledged and beautiful birds, at other times they are square eggs and I am the unfortunate bird trying to lay it. Today has been a square egg day, all my usual writing tricks haven't worked... then all of a sudden whoosh and the thing that got me out of bed at seven o'clock this morning is written. Of course its not finished, they never are until after they have been delivered and even then they tend to take a life of their own.
meeting with my mentor the other day has sent me on a few days of troubled reflection about this whole business of writing. I am quite a reluctant writer, especially with meetings. I have watched others turn up with a side of A4 and wondered at the impact those can have on a meeting. What I am wondering is why I don't do that. It's a kind of a writers block, I just avoid writing if I can, I wonder how many others are like that. Some of it is of course that I am a binge reader and with that probably a bit of a binge writer. I read in blocks, plunging into another writers world for a few days and then not reading for months.
Writing scares me a bit I think. Somewhere inside I see it as a way of closing an argument rather than opening a discussion, of shutting a door rather than opening one.
It's rubbish of course, if things are to be done, ideas to made solid, regeneration to be more than just talking, writing must be done. Perhaps that is something I am learning through this keeping of a blog, to have a conversation by writing.
Martin Luther King was commemorated yesterday, I watched pictures of him speaking, not a note in his hand, but with a sense of poetry and inspiration, it was almost as though he was reading someone else's script, written in his heart.

No comments: