Sunday 23 March 2008

Don't be afraid be productive

Alleluia Christ is Risen
He is risen indeed Alleluia!

Easter Sunday finds me preaching to a packed church of 150 about Jesus' words 'don't be afraid.' It's what the angels said to the disciples on the first Easter Day. So I said to the good people of Mytholmroyd: 'Don't be afraid.'
It's funny because people always think religious people are motivated by fear... We're not. I don't know anyone who even thinks twice about their actions will lead to a time in a warmer place. Rather they find their religion sets them free from fear so that they can make the world a better place.
It strikes me that fear is no great motivator. Polly my friend at the Alternative Technology Centre reckons that no-one live more greenly to save the planet but they might do it to save a few pounds or for the buzz you get from doing good.
So don't be afraid be free, and with your freedom make the world a better place.

No comments: