Monday 5 May 2008

Beam me up Scottie, or should we take the car?

It's about time somebody invented one of those transporter devices that are used on Star Trek. I love going to Durham to visit my daughter but the A1 is such a boring motorway/dual carriageway type thing. If only you could be turned into energy and beamed down the phone lines to home.
Mind you cars are an interesting place for sorting things out. Catherine and I often have some of our most in depth conversations in the car and the children trapped and bored will often talk about the stuff that really bothers them, or interests them, or makes them laugh.
Today we were trying to get to the bottom of where and exactly why I was going on my Fraser Teal sabbatical. It's not very straight forward because as well as the bomb that went off in Yemen this week, the other person I know who knows the middle east, not the one I am going with, reckons it's a dangerous place to go for a westerner. We didn't solve the problems in the car but we did air the issues.
I remember when I was a University Chaplain my car was almost a mobile confession with students asking for a lift home and then taking the time to tell me their deepest darkest secret. Maybe it’s because we don’t have to look at one another that makes a car the perfect place to talk about difficult things.
So perhaps having a transporter thing like on Star Trek might not be such a good idea, but just another excuse for not talking.
“Don’t beam me up Scottie, we need to talk!”

No comments: