Wednesday 7 May 2008

Teach a man to fish and he might teach others

The book I read yesterday, I gave away today and told another person about it tonight. That’s the way I am with new knowledge, I’m not satisfied with having it until I have passed it on to someone else.
Now I’m not sure why I do this… it could just be that I am a generous person, but I am not sure that is not what it is. It could be that I am doing it to put others down, you know: “look at me, I’m clever I read books and everything!” I don’t think that I am clever enough to play games like that.
No, I think in my head that passing something on is the end of the learning process. If I learn something new, I don’t feel I have really learnt it until I pass it on to someone else.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime and with any luck he will probably teach somebody else, and before you know what a community is fed.
It would be good if those involved in regeneration really followed through this idea by allowing those who have learnt how to do it to share their knowledge with others.

No comments: