Saturday 17 May 2008

Not for the likes of us

A busy Saturday which is a problem as I am supposed to use the day as Family time. So it was in a JIT (just in time) moment that I arrive at Brighouse to do a seminar on Prayer. It was great to see nicely restored and redeveloped church. Not so many gathered to study prayer but it was Saturday afternoon and it was the FA cup final… not sure who organised it then but maybe they were praying at the time and hadn’t thought it through.
From there to an old people’s home, a good one I guess, certainly the staff seemed to be kind, and welcomed me to sit and wait with the residents as the lady I had gone to see, finished her tea. This proved to be a long wait and I ended up watching a bit more of the FA cup final. An old lady across from me with all the professionalism of a TV pundit simply said: “Football, it’s a bit rubbish isn’t it!”
The lady I was visiting told me that she didn’t like the food but that the place was nice. She reckoned that she had been spoiled by having good food all her life. Others there were used to the bland and so could cope with it better.
I wondered whether it really would have been better to have had a worse life so that you could tolerate the mediocre.
“Not for the likes of us.” Or them for that matter has been an excuse for tolerating all sorts of stuff in our communities that should have the best we can give them or they can get.

No comments: