Sunday 11 May 2008

Locally sourced food

Sunday and a special treat: the famous world champion dock pudding breakfast. In my case an extra special treat from one of our local farmers a double yolk goose egg fried egg. The yolk was the size of a saucer and bright orangey yellow and was the best egg I've ever tasted. Add to this that rare local delacy sweet dock pudding, a green slimey substance with a unique and delicious taste it was all great.
We talk glibly about locally sourced food and this was all that and some. I think when we talk about localfood we often in this country are looking for locals to grow the food we like... Instead of finding what grows well in our area and shaping our cuisine around that.
I'm sure they do that in other countries... Mind you I mentioned my idea to someone and they said: "in that case we need a cuisine built around slugs!"

No comments: