Sunday 25 May 2008

Rebirth

It's Sunday and so vicars on holiday go to church. A little village church in Orton. The place was decked out like kind of weird theme park as they were having a festival. The theme was the world, which gave plenty of scope... Highlights included a half sized polar bear under a sign that said:"Iceland" and a plane flown by a rabbit, all made out of balloons. Not sure what that had to with anything but it was spectacular.
The preacher preached on bringing the spiritual world and the physical world together. At least I think that's what he preached on... I was distracted by a display on Tutankamen's burial relics.
John 3:16 was the text and he spoke well but with no conclusion a surprise given that it's the classic text about the need to be born again. It's the classic text about spiritual regeneration. I wonder if it works for physical renewal?
For it struck me that regeneration and born again are close together as concepts.
You need to be born again to enter the Kingdom of God. Our towns villages and cities need to be reborn, regenerated to...
I'm not sure what the promised land is...
perhaps simply to be btter.
the other vicars have gone to another service but I prefer the stillness of s spring evening by a babbling brook for my regeneration.

No comments: