Sunday 6 July 2008

Mountain top experience

Having come up in the car from tajs this morning I am sat at 12000 feet drinking tea with the men of the village as they chew qat. Its very relaxing, and no I am not chewing qat. We have been welcomed to this village as old friends. The comeraderie coming from our shared humanity though not language. Teaching the boys to make popping sound further builds a link. The food eaten with fingers is shared, the cigarettes shared, the building is shared, so is it surprising that work is shared.
Partnership comes from doing other things than work together. My partnership with Yorkshire Forward really began when we spent a night at Schipol airport.
This is a place for thinking. As they make their midday prayers I make mine and in this place I am overwhelmed by a great sense of thanksgiving flooding like the sudden into the terraces of my life causing this greening of praise. I am thankful for the great goodness of God in my journey so far, the great goodness of a wife and family, the great goodness of a community, a calling, an equipping, a partnership, a covenant, a love. I cry a little with the sense of God's goodness.
In the middle of prayers they break off in a chat then back to prayer, no threshold between spirituality and life. No bumps.
It will be hard to come off this moutaintop.

No comments: